Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Word On Cars.

Apparently, when it comes to operating large machinery, I can't be trusted. I got in what the insurance agency calls a ''Fender-Bender'' last friday. Perfect way to start the weekend…right? Now, before you go pointing fingers and whispering let me relay how it happened. Because the first thing John asked me (after making sure I and the baby weren't physically hurt of course) was ''You PROMISE you weren't looking at your phone??!" YES! I PROMISE. I was driving downtown minding my own business when suddenly the light ahead of me turned yellow. The van in front of me probably had color-blindness issues because he SLAMMED on his breaks like it was glaringly red. I proooobbbbabbly was following a tad too close because I didn't have enough time to fully stop before I hit him. But who slams their breaks at a fresh yellow light?! 

Luckily no one was hurt. He was a nice guy and didn't call the cops so I didn't get a ticket. (That may have been because he and his drop-dead-gorgeous wife were all dressed up and heading somewhere fancy that they were in a hurry for…but i'm gonna pretend it's cause he decided to have pity on me.) 

Did I mention I was driving our lovely forest green 1995 Geo Prism and he was driving a MERCEDES? And that lovely Mercedes bumper is gonna cost more than our entire car cost us? *sigh* 

Crazy enough, John and I have a friend who performs miracles with cars and was able to get ours in the shop and fixed up in no time. We decided since there was no engine damage to just bend our hood back in place and replace the light. Thus, causing our already ghetto car to look more ghetto with a new large dent and white scratch. Ah well, what do you do. ALSO, just to note: you know you have a crapy car when the auto body shop guy makes fun of you for it. That made for a great monday morning. How do you come back from that? Answer: You DON'T. You accept it, chuckle politely while dragging out a ''yeaahhhhh'' and change the subject. 

And onn that subject…I'm PRETTY SURE that I get judged every time I drive on the freeway. It was an amazing new concept when we got our Geo Baby this winter. People TREAT me like I have an old car. Speed up waaaay fast, ride my butt for two seconds and then zip into the other lane while not making eye contact with me as if I don't exist. ''SIR! I was going 78mph! And you my friend are driving a PRIUS. How are you judging me?!" I may look old and decrepit in this Geo Prism but it's got guts ok?! I have never felt stereotyped in my whole life until we bought this car. Maybe that's healthy for me to feel what the minority feels like. I do however feel part of some group now. Like, how, while dating an ex boyfriend, I learned that motorcyclists have a language. While passing they stick out their hand and do a thumb and pointer finger salute. Apparently you're cool if you know this. Well, now i'm part of the ''Yes, this baby is still running'' group. Every time I pass someone in a car relatively like mine we do the half-grin-nod. Yeaaaaahhhh I got you. Word. And then I turn up my music REALLL loud to compensate. Can we call this ''Old Car Syndrome'' as well? Probably. Somewhat similar to ''Little Man Syndrome". 

Maybe we shouldn't' get me started on syndromes….

Here's a pic of our car instead. Happy driving. 


1 comment:

e.m. said...

Oh ting, ting, ting. You kill me! I'm glad you're ok. Hilarious though, no offense! Hahah....you have a geo & I'm judging you. Fortunately, had you been in some high-end car this story wouldn't be so funny - I dare say you would be pissed. So thank goodness you're in car you can sit back and laugh at yourself, right?