Sunday, March 27, 2011

Don't take it personal K?

So. April first is coming up and I'd like to say that it is one of my favorite holidays...but that's sort of not true. 1. Because, is it even a holiday? Who the heck came up with it? and 2. Because I always screw it up. I love pranks and teasing and am, in fact, married to the biggest tease on planet earth so you'd think it would be right up my alley...but you'd be wrong.

As I sit here, two memories come to mind. Last year I thought I had the perfect joke to play on my family. I decided I would pretend I was pregnant. (woohoo so original right?) After John and I brought my family together in the kitchen and "announced" our big news, what happened next was NEVER part of the plan.  I guess I just hadn't thought as far as if people actually believed me but my Dad MORE than believed me. He started clapping his hands and his face lit up brighter than I've EVER seen it and he ran over and started hugging us all the while chanting "I'm gonna be a Grandpa!". My heart sank. How rude are we? Ya. Big. Fat. Jerks. When I broke the news while he was hugging me the look on his face wanted to make me cry. He just stammered..."whha..whatt?" and then just sort of stared at us. No one even laughed. AWESOME Sarah. What a success. Yeah. Super sad and awkward. Story of my life. If you manage to make a situation that awkward while standing in a room full of your own kin then you've got a special talent and come find me cause I have that same talent. 


I guess you could say I was getting back at my Dad for the OTHER April Fools memory that I'm reminiscing about. I was around ten years old innocently eating my breakfast on the morning of April 1 not having a clue that it's April Fools, when my loving father tells me that my bestest bestie in the whole world Marie is moving to California. After interrogating him about how he knew FOR SURE that she was moving I just burst into tears and sobbed up to my room. After which my Dad, probably feeling about how I felt the day I told him I was pregnant, came into my room sat on my bed and rubbed my back while asking me "What day is it Sarah?" Hello Daddy. I'm ten. I just got told that the world was going to end and you're expecting me to figure it out that it's April fools? Yup. 

So now, as April 1 draws nearer, I'm left to wonder who's feelings I'm going to hurt this year....

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Haha, hilarious! I love reading your blog, it always makes me laugh.