Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Publication Design

Publication design is difficult to define. For me at least. My first question is what is publication? The dictionary describes it as - 'the act of making something generally known'.  So, if we're trying to define publication design then to me it means any design work that is generally known.  This could be anything from a brochure, magazine, logo, business card, catalog, product packaging to a blog or website.  

A well designed example of online publication is www.designers-who-blog.com.  I like how it feels fresh and clean.  I just recently found it so I can't claim that I read it and view it often...but, I can say that after looking at a bunch of random blogs this one caught my eye.  It has some great art.  It seems modern and up to date.  I also like the color choice and header design they've used.  It feels antique and important.  One of the main things I like about it is all the links it has to other blogs and other art.  Looking around I found some great typefaces!  They seem to know their stuff.  So take a look!